Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Cell Phones impact

I have a cell phone, you have a cell phone, your mom has a cell phone, even your grandma has a cell phone. Now the question is is that a good thing or a bad thing? The ability to constantly be reached, whether it be by text message, video message, picture message, mobile social networking sites (i.e. facebook, myspace, twitter), push to talk (walkie - talkie feature), or who knows even the occasional phone call you pretty much are available to reach anywhere anytime. Some 89% of married couples with children have multiple cell phones, as researched by a Pew Internet study. About 66% of people have broadband in their homes as well. It is stated that most of these families allow family members allow family members to stay in contact regularly even without having any physical contact. A quote out of that article where those statistics come froms says "Some analysts have worried that new technologies hurt family togetherness, but we see that technology allows for new kinds of connectedness built around cell phones and the internet," noted Tracy Kennedy, author of a new report about the survey called "Networked Families."' Seriously who doesnt love getting a zaney text from your family members at the most random times.
  • 70% of couples in which both partners own a cell phone contact each other daily to say hello or chat; 54% of couples who have one or no cell phones do this at least once a day.
  • 64% of couples in which both partners own a cell phone contact each other daily to coordinate their schedules; 47% of couples who have one or no cell phones do this at least once a day.
  • 42% of parents contact their child/children on a daily basis using a cell phone, making cell phones the most popular communications tool between parents and children.
  • Those stats there just basically show that people shape their lives around the usuage of their cell phones, whether it cooridante their schedules or just to say hello.
    We have all been in some kind of conversation or interaction of any kind and the other persons cell phone rings and they tell you to hold on and they procede to talk or text. now to me that isnt annoying. But about 90% of people find other people using their cell phones in an annoying way. I know I dry heave whenever I hear a couple talking on a phone, "i love you, no i love you, no i love you more." I think i just threw up in my mouth a little. In contrast to the people that find it annoying only about 8% of people find that their own cell phone usuage is annoying/rude.


    Overall I would actually say cell phone usage defiantly bring people together. If for some reason you don't want to be connected, just press the power button the ol cell phone. And just get used to people having their phones on. It is just the new way of life.

    3 comments:

    1. That is so funny that only 8% of people say their own cell phone use is annoying and 90% of people say others using theirs is annoying. Ha! Very contradictory. It is crazy to me that the most popular communication between parents and children is their cell phones. In class we have talked a lot about communication through media and how it can be taken the wrong way or even destroy one's ability to really converse face-to-face. However, I think we just have to embrace it, like you said, it is the growth of technology and it isnt going away. You hear a lot of people always talking about how their parents (or Laggards, as we called them in class) don't even know how to use a cell phone let alone text on it, but I think we would be surprised by the number of parents now who are in the "loop" and are catching up to this phenomenon. I do think it is a good thing as well, communication has been made easier by a simple quick text message if needed. My mom once told me that when she needed to contact her mom while out for the night she would have to pull over at a local store, hopefully have remembered change, dial on the pay phone, and then pray that she answers! I would say we have it pretty nice.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Its so intersting how different our lives would be now if we didn't have cell phones. This technology is something that we constantly depend on. I personlly don't know what I would do without my cell phone, I would feel like a part of me is missing. I find comfort knowing that I can take it everywhere with me, as well as use it anywhere knowing that I will be able to get a hold of someone in case of an emergency.

      I never would thought that the most popular technoloogy between parents and their children would be cell phones. Although it does make sense. Its the easiest way for parents to get a hold of their children,because their phone is always with them.

      I completely agree with you when you said that cell phones bring people together. My relationship with my dad has grown so much since he learned how to text. Cell phones are now just a way of life, and we have to embrace it.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I agree that cell phones bring people together. A study came out saying that children prefer to text their parents because it is discrete and doesn't embarrass them. It is a quick and easy way for parents to check in with their kids in a way that is preferable.

      ReplyDelete